Grizedale sits at the heart of the Grizedale Forest Park, and contains the visitor centre for the forest and the remains of Grizedale Hall. Grizedale Forest is the largest forestry plantation in the Lakes, and contains 1,700 hectares of forest, mainly conifers but with some ancient oaks inherited by the Forestry Commission in 1936. The original forest was 400 hectares in area and large parts of it were planted by the owners of Grizedale Hall. There are red and roe deer in the forest, along with a sculpture walk, waymarked trails and a fairly recently refurbished visitor centre with a café, shop and adventure playground. During the Second World War the hall was used as a Prisoner of War Camp, holding high ranking German officers, one of whom successfully escaped.
Directions: Grizedale can be reached from Hawkshead - head south out of the village, turn right at the T-junction, then turn right again and head through Roger Ground. This road leads over Hawkshead Moor and down to Grizedale.
Grid Reference: SD 335 943