Broughton Mills is a small village on the River Lickle, at the the foot of Dunnerdale. A very pretty road heads up Dunnerdale from Broughton Mills before crossing into the Duddon Valley.
The river once provided power for a series of mills, starting with a woollen mill, which later became a bobbin mill. The village also had a corn mill while there were slate quarries nearby. On the northern side of the village is the Church of the Holy Innocents, consecrated in 1888 (when it replaced a barn that had been used as a church).
The village does still contain a pub, the Blacksmiths Arms.
Directions: Broughton Mills is on a side road just to the north of Lower Hawthwaite on the A 593
Grid Reference: SD 222 906