Nidd Valley Light Railway

The Nidd Valley Light Railway was opened in 1907 to help with the construction of the Angram and Scar House reservoirs. It ran from Pateley Bridge up to the construction sites for the reservoirs, and was open to public use as far as Lofthouse. The railway was owned by Bradford Corporation, and was the only passenger carrying railway in Britain to be owned by a municipality. The railway closes in 1936, but its course can still be traced on the ground, and is used by the road that leads to the car park at Scar House Reservoir.

Home - Guide - Walks - Photos