Ingleton has been an important tourist centre since the arrival of the Settle to Sedbergh railway at the end of the 1850s. The village sits just off the A 65, and at the foot of Ingleborough, and is a good base for exploring the south western dales and the nearby Forest of Bowland.
The importance of tourism was recognised in 1884 with the formation of the Ingleton Improvement Society. This group of local residences spent thirty years building miles of paths and bridges up the Doe and Twiss valleys. The result was the Ingleton Waterfalls Trail, still run as a private tourist attraction, and which passes a string of impressive waterfalls set in the two wooded valleys.