The village of Threlkeld lies on the southern slopes of Blencathra and is dominated by the rugged southern face of that mountain. The village benefits greatly by being bypassed by the main road to Keswick from the east (A 66), which passes just to the south of the village.

The village church, St. Marys, was built in 1777 and restored in 1911, when it gained a new font made out of the local Threlkeld granite, which until 1980 was quarried just south of the village. The village now contains a Post Office (limited opening times), and two pubs – the Salutation Inn and the Horse & Farrier.

Just to the south of the village the River Glenderamackin merges with St. John's Beck to form the River Greta.

Home - Photos - Guide - Links