Rydal village is best known as the final residence of William Wordsworth, who lived at Rydal Mount from 1813 until his death in 1850, well over half of his adult life. Somewhat surprisingly, given the tiny size of the village, at one point it contained three inns, a corn mill, a fulling mill, a school and a smithy. One pub remains, as do the two big houses. Rydal Hall was the home of the de Fleming family from 1575 onwards, and is now the Carlisle Diocesan Conference and Retreat Centre. Rydal Mount dates to the sixteenth century and was Wordsworth's home from 1813 until his death in 1850. Wordsworth was not the only famous figure to live in the village. Dr Arnold, the most famous head master of Rugby School and a friend of the poet built a house in the village, while de Quincey lodged in the village.
Directions: Rydal village lies at the eastern end of Rydal Water, on the main A 591
Grid Reference: NY 364 061