Patterdale is a relatively quiet village just to the south of Ullswater, with less of a touristy feel than the nearby Glenridding.
According to local tradition the valley was named after St. Patrick, who visited the valley after being shipwrecked on the Duddon Sands. He baptised the locals, and gave the valley its early name of Patricksdale before moving on.
Unsurprisingly the church is dedicated to St. Patrick. Much of the current structure dates back to 1852 when the church was badly damaged by heavy snow and had to be rebuilt.
Directions: Patterdale is just to the south of Ullswater on the A 592
Grid Reference: NY 394 160