The village of Near Sawrey is now completely dominated by Beatrix Potter, who lived at Hill Top, at the south eastern corner of the village. The National Trust now owns the house, which is open to the public on times tickets. The car park and ticket office are at the western end of the village, near Esthwaite Water, while the inevitable NT shop is at the entrance to the gardens. Near Sawrey also contains an excellent pub – the Tower Bank Arms.
Beatrix Potter bought Hill Top with the royalties from Peter Rabbit (1900), officially as an investment, but over the next few years the amount of time she spent in the house increased until it was her main house. Six of her books were written at Hill Top, and at least two use it as a setting. After her marriage Beatrix Potter decided to leave Hill Top as it was, and she and her husband moved into nearby Castle Cottage.