Grange sits at the point where the roads down the east and west shores of Derwent Water join before heading through the Jaws of Borrowdale. The road from the east enters Grange over a fine stone built double bridge across the River Derwent, taking advantage of an island in the river. There is a sizable car park just north of this bridge on the main road. Facilities include the Borrowdale Gates Hote, at the north western edge of the village.
From 1209 the village was a monastic grange, or abbey farm, and was the remote of Furness Abbey’s estates in the area.