Finsthwaite is a small village close to the south-west corner of Windermere, hidden in the wooded hills west of the lake. The village name means Finn's Clearing, and refers to an early owner of the area. For a long time the village was involved in the woodworking industries, first as a producer of timber for furniture, and then from 1835 in the manufacture of bobbins.
The current church of St. Peter was built to a design that won a competition organised by the Diocesan Church Extensions Society to find a design suitable for a mountain chapel. It was consecrated in 1874 and replaced an earlier church of 1724. The hand-wound church clock was installed in 1919 as a war memorial
Directions: Finstwaite can be reached from Newby Bridge - cross the bridge to the Swan Hotel, turn left once over the bridge, then follow this road as it curves around to the right. Just after a short climb there is a junction - keep right here and follow this road through Town End to Finsthwaite.
Grid Reference: SD 367 878