Crook is a small village located in the rolling hills between Kendal and Windermere. The village is scattered across an area of undulating countryside, linked by the B 5284, which links Bowness to Kendal.
Crook Hall sits on the western side of a small hill to the south-west of the main village. It was built as Thwatterden Hall by the Philipson family in the eighteenth century, on the site of the original Medieval hall. The same family was also responsible for the earlier Hollin Hall, a pele tower built in around 1450. Hollin Hall sits to the north-east of the main village, on the road north to Stavely.
The current church of St Katherine sits on the main road west of the village. It was built in 1887 and replaced an older church. The remains of the older church, also dedicated to St Katherine, are south-west of the current church. It was originally the chapel for the manor house, and was used from around 1506 until 1880, when it was already largely in ruins.
The Sun Inn sits in the centre of the village, also on the main road.
Directions: Crook is located on the B 5284, an alternative road from Kendal to Windermere.
Grid Reference: SD 462 951