Clappersgate is a small village just to the west of Ambleside, built around a bridge over the River Brathay. These days the village really feels like an extension of its larger neighbour, but in the past it had its own wharf on the Brathay, a mill, an inn and a store. The unusual Italianate church of the Holy Trinity was built in 1886 by Giles Redmayne, the owner of Brathay Hall. Redmayne made his money from Italian silk, thus explaining the appearance of the church (most visible from the road when coming north from Hawkshead). Brathay Hall has a number of artistic connections, and de Quincey and Constable both stayed at the hall when it was owned by John Harden, a diarist and artist. Close by is Old Brathay, where Wordsworth, Coleridge and Southey were regular visitors.
Directions: Clappersgate is just west of Ambleside on the A 593
Grid Reference: NY 366 034