Chapel Stile is the main village in the heart of Great Langdale was has strong connections to the quarrying industry. The village is a informal jumble of houses on two streets leading to the main road, along with more modern houses in the road itself. It also has a convenient store and café. The current church was built in 1857 by the squires of High Close and Elterwater Hall. It contains a 20th century St. Francis stained glass window, made by an artist who lived in the village.
Directions: Chapel Stile is on the main road through Great Langdale.
Grid Reference: NY 320 053