Arnside is a small seaside resort, located just upstream from Grange over Sands, on the opposite side of the Kent Estuary, on the shores of the Silverdale peninsula. The village developed as a medieval fishing port, and its oldest building, Arnside Tower (a five storey fifteenth century peel tower), dates back to the period when Scottish raiders posed a threat.
During the seventeenth century a salt industry developed in the village, and part of the Fighting Cocks Hotel dates back to the same period. During the nineteenth century the village became a small seaside resort, attracting visitors from Morecombe and Fleetwood early in the century and from further afield after the railway arrived in 1857. The village is still a popular destination, and now had bird watching is a major attraction - there are over 200,000 wading birds in the estuary, one of Britain's largest populations. The nearby RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss stretches out to the coast. The main street faces directly onto the estuary, with buildings on one side of the road and the water on the other.
Just inland is Arnside Knott, the target of a short walk from the village. This is a limestone hill owned by the National Trust, and with a superb view of the Lake District fells to the north and west.